- Organic Barberry Root (Berberis Vulgaris) Dried Root Bark
- All Natural Herbal Supplements
- GMO FREE
- MADE IN USA
- NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS
Parts Used: Root Bark
Country of Origin: Croatia
Barberry, also known as common barberry, European barberry, and Berberis vulgaris (in the scientific world), is a deciduous, flowering shrub from the Berberidaceae or barberry family. The plant can grow up to 13 feet tall and is characterized by its red, oblong, berries that are highly acidic, but consumed in many parts of the world. Different parts of the plant have also been used for various health issues in different traditional medicinal systems, particularly that of Iran and China.
Benefits and Uses
- Gastrointestinal issues
- High blood sugar and cholesterol levels
- To prevent hardening of arteries
- Dilate blood vessels
- Problems of the urinary tract
- Liver and gallbladder issues
- Renal stones
- Stimulate circulatory system
- Digestive issues
- Loss of appetite
- Minor wounds and other skin problems (topically)
Barberry Root is the source of:
- Alkaloids, such as columbamine, brolicin, berbamine, oxyaconthine, and berberine
- Phenolic compounds, such as anthocyanin and carotenoid pigments
- Vitamins C and K
Some of the most common conditions barberry has been traditionally used for include digestive and GI problems, liver and gallbladder issues, lowering blood sugar and cholesterol levels, cough, and skin problems. A decoction made from barberry root has also been used to stimulate appetite.
Research into the various constituents of barberry plant has found that the herb may also have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antioxidant, liver protecting, blood sugar and cholesterol lowering, and pain relieving properties.
Iran is the biggest producer of barberry fruit in the world. Even in Iran, 95% of the fruit comes from one province – Southern Khorasan.
* This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, mitigate, or prevent any disease. Results may vary based on individual user and are not guaranteed.
Love this. My holistic Practitioner put me on this and recommended this company. He was right on in his referral of both.