Herbs from Around the World
From medicinal benefits to aromatic flavors, herbs from around the world are picked and used for various purposes. They are used to add flavor to foods and concocted into drinks to alleviate ailments. For instance, the tea that is widely consumed all over the world is a concoction of multiple herbs.
This article is all about learning where the most popular herbs come from and how they have made their way into our daily lives. So let’s get to it, shall we?
Grains of Paradise
Grains of Paradise is a herb that first originated from Europe, Asia and Africa but is now also grown in North America. The herb is more commonly known as melegueta pepper and tastes somewhat like black peppers, but a bit tangy. These seeds or ‘grains’ are used as a spice in Europe and African countries.
Here are some of the popular uses of Grains of Paradise:
- It is used as a whole and ground spice in African, Mediterranean and European cuisines.
- It is used as a flavoring agent in Akvavit (Scandinavian distilled spirit).
- It is used in Africa for helping with stomachache, diarrhea and snake bites.
- It is also used as an anti-inflammatory herb.
Yarrow is a white flowering plant found in the Northern Hemispheric regions of Asia, Europe and North America. It is popularly consumed in the form of tea and tinctures for healing various ailments.
Here’s what Yarrow can help you with:
- It alleviates the symptoms of fever, flu, cold and hay fever.
- It regulates menstruation.
- It helps in diarrhea and stomach problems.
- It helps in loss of appetite.
- Chewing its leaves are also believed to relieve toothaches.
- It may also help relieve symptoms of anxiety and depression.
Uva Ursi, also known as bearberry, is a herb native to parts of the U.S., Europe and Asia. It is actually a shrub with flowers and berries whose leaves are used for various medicines.
Here are some of the benefits of Uva Ursi:
- It reduces the bacteria in the urine and helps soothe UTIs (Urinary Tract Infections).
- It is also used to relieve the infections of kidney and bladder.
- It promotes healing and reduces inflammation.
- It boosts the immune system.
Yohimbe is an evergreen tea that is antive to Western and Central Africa. The bark of this tree has a medicinal chemical known as yohimbine that is used in various medicines and drugs. You can also find yohimbe capsules that are used as a supplement containing the yohimbine extract.
Here are some ways Yohimbe is used around the world:
- It is used for helping with erectile dysfunction.
- It is also consumed as a mood booster.
- It is used for alleviating the angina pain and helping with high blood pressure.
- It is good for weight loss.
Watercress is a leafy green plant that originated from the UK but is now grown in all the watery regions of the world. This plant comes from the family of kale, brussels sprouts and cabbages. This plant is packed with rich nutrients including Vitamin K, Vitamin C and Vitamin A.
Here are some ways watercress is used around the world:
- It is used as an antioxidant to help soothe the oxidative stress.
- It is used as an anti-inflammatory agent to soothe the swollen oesophagus.
- It alleviates flu and cough symptoms.
- It also helps relieve constipation.
These are some of the most popular herbs from around the world that have been used since centuries. Although herbs are very beneficial, you should only use them in limited quantities. Consuming herbs in large amounts can have serious side effects.